A lighter crank and lighter con-rods means lighter — and smaller — everything else, so the entire package — capped off with 11-ounce lighter magnesium valve covers — measures up as 27.5mm shorter than the 2006, all the while making more power and torque and weighing in at 3.7 pounds less.
“The clutch is lighter, smaller and stronger, and the transmission gets closer ratios and a redesign to reduce driveline lash.”
Engine improvements don’t stop there. We didn’t complain about last year’s clutch or transmission, but Honda improved them anyway. The clutch is lighter, smaller and stronger, and the transmission gets closer ratios and a redesign to reduce driveline lash.
There’s also a new gadget called the Intake Air Control Valve (IACV), which smoothes throttle response, avoiding the jerky fuel injection-induced response some other motorcycles are cursed with.
The airbox — which now sucks air through a hole in the front of the frame like the RC-51 — gains seven percent of additional capacity, and the radiator is 40mm narrower, but 34.2mm taller so not too much frontal area is lost. The exhaust now has titanium baffles; they could have put that bling-bling on display like some OEMs do, but they put it inside where it would do the most good.
Suspension and brakes are standard, if effective, fare. In front, a fully-adjustable (except for high-speed settings) 41mm inverted fork and four-piston radial-mount calipers get the job done, (although Toland said the new braking components offer more sensitivity) and in the rear the Honda Unit Pro-Link is bolted to the three-way-adjustable shock. The Unit Pro Link shock linkage is GP-tech for the street; it isolates the suspension almost totally from the frame to ensure the smoothest possible ride.
A Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD) that’s half the size (and 20 percent lighter) of last year’s damper keeps the compact chassis — with a steeper rake than the old machine’s — under control by adjusting damping force according to speed.
|Honda CBR 600RR|
|Four stroke, transverse four cylinder, DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder.|
|599 cc / 36.5 cu-in|
|Bore x Stroke||67 x 42.5 mm|
|Cooling System||Liquid cooled|
|Engine Oil||Synthetic, 10W/40|
|Computer-controlled digital transistorized with
electronic advance and independent four-cylinder 3D-mapped computercontrol.
|Spark Plug||NGK, IMR9C-9H|
|118 hp / 88.1 kW @ 13500 rpm|
|66 Nm / 48.6 ft/lb @ 11250 rpm|
|Clutch||Cable-operated multiplate wet clutch.|
|Frame||Aluminium, twin spar|
|41mm inverted Big Piston Fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability|
|Front Wheel Travel||120 mm / 4.3 in|
|Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability;|
|Rear Wheel Travel||129.5mm / 5.1|
|2x 310mm discs 4 piston calipers|
|Single 220mm disc 1 piston caliper|
|Seat Height||820 mm / 32.3 in|
|Ground clearance:||135 mm / 5.3 in|
|156.5 kg / 345 lbs|
|Wet Weight||186 kg / 410 lbs|
|18.2 liters / 4.8 gal|
Standing ¼ Mile
|255.3 km/h / 158.6 mph|
Features & Benefits
New for 2007
– Class-leading power-to-weight ratio for outstanding acceleration and handling.
– Smaller, lighter, more compact inline four-cylinder engine.
– Improved midrange performance and enhanced peak power.
– Significant weight reduction in engine and chassis.
– Repositioned transmission shafts within crankcase allow for shorter engine.
– New lightweight, forged-aluminum pistons incorporate special shot peening for added toughness.
– Lightweight magnesium head cover.
– New, single exhaust valve-springs.
– Smaller, lighter neodium magnet ACG.
– New transmission gear ratios.
– Smaller, lighter clutch.
– New front-brake vertical-piston master-cylinder system.
– Lighter weight stainless steel four-into-one exhaust features new inline-exhaust valve to control exhaust pressure for maximum performance.
– New intake-air control valve (IACV) minimizes torque reaction and smoothes response to small throttle changes through gradual reductions of air and fuel intake when the throttle is opened and closed.
– New non-resonance knock sensor maintains optimum spark advance while constantly monitoring combustion performance during mid- to high-speed operation.
– New nose-mounted ram-air induction directs fresh, cool air to a higher-volume airbox.
– New smaller and lighter Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD).
– Newly designed Fine Die-Cast (FDC) frame uses four large castings for lighter weight.
– Improved mass centralization.
– Redesigned radiator with compact dimensions improves cooling capacity.
– All-new bodywork enhances handling and performance.
– Handlebars raised 10mm for improved rider comfort.
– Center of gravity revised for more neutral response and easier side-to-side flickability.
– New, compact instrument design.
– Exciting new colors–Pearl White/Silver and Ultra Blue Metallic/Silver–join Red/Black and Black as color options.
– Unit Pro-Link™ rear suspension and swingarm design inspired by RC211V®.
– Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) system features two injectors per cylinder.
– High-revving engine redlines at 15,000 rpm.
– MotoGP-style RC211V center-up exhaust system.
– Radial-mount front brake calipers combined with radial actuated master cylinder.
– 41mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) inverted front fork.
– Centrally located fuel tank increases mass centralization and allows more compact frame design.
– Line beam headlights feature three-piece reflector design.
– Liquid-cooled DOHC 16-valve 599 cc / 36.5 cu-incc four-stroke inline four-cylinder engine features oversquare bore and stroke of 67mm x 42.5mm.
– Intake port surface treatment revised for improved efficiency.
– Oil jet relocated beneath piston for additional friction reduction and cooling.
– Iridium-tip spark plugs improve fuel combustion and performance.
– DSFI system features 40mm throttle bodies and two injectors per cylinder–one upper and one lower–controlled by an electronic control system (ECU) that senses rpm and throttle opening. Lower injector enhances rideability while upper injector improves top-end horsepower.
– Denso 12 hole injectors deliver finely atomized fuel mixture for optimum combustion efficiency and power.
– Auto enrichment system is integrated into programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) module, eliminating the need for a manual choke.
– Two-stage ram-air system provides high volume of cool air to the airbox for linear power delivery and incredible engine performance.
– Cylinder head features angled valve insets to improve airflow.
– Cylinder head features two springs per intake valve and one spring per exhaust valve for optimum high-rpm valve operation and durability.
– Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation ensures high-rpm performance and durability with 16,000-mile maintenance intervals.
– Lighter pistons and lighter, nutless connecting rods contribute to quicker acceleration.
– Double-pivot tensioner for cam-chain durability.
– Right-side starter gears allow increased lean angle.
– Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission with new gear ratios is closely matched to the engine’s powerband.